Worker’s Compensation Board – BC

Register for Worker’s Compensation

Virtually all employers in British Columbia must register for insurance coverage with WorkSafeBC (the Workers' Compensation Board) to protect their workers. This includes:

  • employers in home-based businesses
  • shareholders
  • individuals working temporarily in BC
  • some contractors
  • subcontractors
  • residential employers
  • Employ and pay people on a regular, casual or contract basis
  • Hire someone to work in or around your home
  • Come from another province or country to work in B.C.
  • Work as a commercial fisherman
  • Work in the trucking industry

Optional coverage is also available if you are not automatically covered by WorkSafeBC, you may be able to apply for Personal Optional Protection (POP). This would be for:

  • People who are self-employed
  • Partners or proprietors (and proprietors' spouses) in a non-limited company

There are some exemptions to the above, including hours worked for an owner of a private residence, incorporated personal financial holding company and you don't employ workers other than the principal shareholders, and etc.