Most businesses in Ontario that employ workers (including family members and sub-contractors) must register with the WSIB within 10 days of hiring their first full- or part-time worker. It's the law.
make it easy to register for WSIB. Check for the instructions below.
Registering with the WSIB provides workplace insurance coverage for all of your workers and gives you access to experts in health and safety for your business sector.
The following step-by-step guide will assist you in the registration process
1. Who Needs to Register
In most cases, you are required to register your company with the WSIB.
There are a few industries that do not have to register. These include:
- Banks, trusts and insurance companies
- Private health care practices (such as those of doctors and chiropractors)
- Trade unions
- Private day cares
- Travel agencies
- Clubs (such as health clubs)
- Barbers, hair salons, and shoe-shine stands
- Funeral directing and embalming
This is not a complete list as there are more industries that do not have to register. For more information, please contact us or the WSIB directly.
Even if your company is in one of these categories, you can still choose to insure your workers through the WSIB. Contact us about applying for coverage for your business.
Insurance for Owners and Executives
If you are a sole proprietor, partner, or executive officer, you are not automatically covered under the WSIB insurance plan. You can, however, apply for optional insurance.
For all firms and sub-contractors working in industries that have mandatory coverage under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, private coverage is not a substitute.
2. Information You'll Need to Register
The first step in registering your company with the WSIB is gathering the necessary information. You should have the following information on hand when you are ready to register for WSIB
- Mailing address
- Phone and Fax numbers
- Organization address
- Account number of any prior registered accounts with WSIB
- Legal name of company and trade name(s)
- Copy of Articles of Incorporation or business registration form
- Language Preference
- Revenue Canada Number and/or GST number
- Employer Health Tax number
- A description of your business activity
- Bank name and branch
- Address, phone & fax number of each operating location
- Name, Location and Phone number for Contact Person for Payroll Records
- Dates workers first employed
- The number of workers
- The estimated insurable earnings for the current year
- Name and Address of any associated employers/contractors, plus any account numbers
- If more than one business activity, which is the predominant activity
- Do you maintain separate payroll records for each business activity?
- Any associated employers
- Name of competitors to verify accuracy of classification
- Website/e-mail address
- Name of Directors or Owner of the Company
- Address of the Director/Owner
- Birth date of Director/Owner
- Social Insurance Number
- Official Business Title
- Proof of earnings (if requesting optional insurance)
3. What You Get by Registering
WSIB benefits replace the worker's right to sue the employer for similar benefits.
The WSIB generally does not consider who is at fault when determining benefits.
Insurance Benefits for Your Workers
WSIB insurance replaces lost earnings, covers health care costs resulting from work-related injuries and illnesses, and supports return to work.
and Training Programs
Workplace illness and injury doesn't just hurt your workers: it can deprive you of essential staff and can seriously affect your company's productivity. The WSIB and our prevention partners provide numerous training and education programs that help you prevent injuries and illness before they cost you money.
in Returning Your Workers to the Job
Getting injured staff back on the job sooner means your business can return to full productivity more quickly. It also means your insurance claim will be smaller and your premiums may be reduced. The WSIB claims management team will help you ensure that your worker gets effective health care and gets back to work as soon as possible.
We make it easy to register for WSIB. For a fee of only $50 plus tax, we will prepare and submit all required documents to the WSIB office for registration. The process usually takes between 10 and 15 business days. Once you receive your WSIB number, you are covered by the WSIB insurance.
We also prepare and file monthly, quarterly and annual WSIB reports. This greatly reduces your workload as a business owner. To order, simply contact us at the numbers listed below. Our friendly customer service representative will guide you through the entire process.